Viral News Boy :- Meat is a rich source of vitamins (especially B12), creatine, magnesium, zinc, omega 3 fatty acids, high quality protein and iron, all of which play a significant role in promoting the health and proper functioning of our muscles.
However, some people claim that it is completely safe, more delicious and more beneficial to health to eat raw or uncooked meat rather than its cooked counterpart. This notion is completely wrong, and here are the reasons.
1) Raw foods of animal origin, such as meat, are the most likely to be contaminated with illness-causing bacteria like Salmonella, Escherichia coli, Shigella and Staphylococcus aureus, all of which are otherwise destroyed with heat during the cooking process.
2) Bacteria are constantly evolving, meaning they are able to resist the drugs we use. The emergence of resistant bacteria comes because of regular use of antibiotics in raw or undercooked foods such as meat.
3) Contamination of meat by bacteria species may occur at slaughterhouses from animal dung, symptomless animals, slaughter equipment, floors as well as abattoir personnel. Interestingly, these pathogens usually gain access to meat at any stage during butchering and processing.
4) Contamination of abattoir surfaces may emanate from the butchers and meat handlers which could be as a result of using ungloved hands during slaughtering and processing of the carcass in the slaughtering hall. In addition, the footwears used by the butchers could function as a vehicle for faecal contamination, since processing and dressing of the carcasses occur on the open floor in the slaughterhouses.
5) Some Nigerians buy their meat in open markets where the meats are exposed to flies. These flies lay eggs in almost any warm, moist material that will supply suitable food for their larvae. The flies can then transfer the bacteria from the meat to you. It is also believed that flies can transmit a considerable number of diseases to humans.
It is very difficult to tell if the meat is contaminated just by looking at it. This is why you should cook meat at the required heat temperatures so as to kill germs and bacteria present in it.
Thanks for reading.
Kindly drop your likes, comments and follow up for more educative articles.